Agricultural Assistant - Commodity Inspector
Company: Cooperative Agricultural Support Services
Posted on: May 3, 2021
POSITION TITLE: Agricultural Assistant
DEPARTMENT: Inspection and Compliance
LOCATION: Lodi/Stockton, CA
REPORTS TO: District Supervisor
FLSA STATUS: Full-time, Temporary, Non-Exempt
COMPENSATION: $16.06 Hr. During Training Pay Rate (2 weeks) -
After Training $16.87/Hour
The Cooperative Agricultural Support Services (CASS) is a Joint
Powers Authority that was originally formed as a partnership
between the California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA)
and the Counties of Yolo and Trinity. Since then CASS' services
have expanded throughout California to support the agricultural
industry and the consumers of its products by providing human
resources and administrative support services. CASS' program
activities include agricultural inspection, pest prevention and
other programs administered by CDFA, county agricultural
commissioners, and other public agencies. Our current work
- Agricultural Commodity Grading Program
- Grading using County, State and Federal standards
- Emergency Pest Detection Trapping and Survey program
- Professional Develop and Educational Training
We are seeking enthusiastic Agricultural Assistant - Commodity
Inspectors to join our Inspection and Compliance Department. This
position reports directly to the District Supervisor.
Under the supervision of a CASS District Supervisor, and with
technical direction by the federal and state, CASS employees grade
agricultural products for growers, shippers, packers, and
processors throughout California.
The Agricultural Assistant Commodity Inspectors participate in
carrying out the less complex and more routine inspection
activities while conforming to federal, state, county, and CASS
policies in carrying out work activities. The Agricultural
Assistant will typically carry out the more routine commodity
inspection activities and have a limited number of commodities that
they are qualified to inspect.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Select and Evaluate Samples of Various Commodities
- Grading, sorting, counting, and sampling work in connection
with agricultural commodities.
- Prepare samples for titration (sugar/acid ratio) testing and
pressure testing to determine degree of ripeness.
- Ripe or ripeness indicates readiness or fitness for use
- Examine the quality, size and/or condition of selected samples
using state, federal or industry standards and language. Language
to understand include, but not limited to:
- Damage - "Serious and Very Serious"
- Insect damage
- Healed cuts
- Accurately and carefully maintain daily reports of work
including, but not limited to:
- Inspection Field Notes
- Inspection Certificates
Inspector's Daily Report
- Ensure provided equipment is available, in working order, and
- Participate in safety and commodity inspection training as
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School Diploma or GED Required
- Demonstrate the basic knowledge of the following:
- Employee conduct/misconduct/bribery/procedures.
- Federal/State/Industry relations Licensee
- Proper use of inspection equipment.
- Sampling procedures: Harvesting, packing, and/or processing
- Product grading for size, quality, and condition defects.
- Application of tolerances in the applicable standard.
- Note sheet and certificate preparation.
and Certificate accountability and distribution.
- The incumbent must be available to travel throughout the state
Lodging, hotel, meals per diem, and travel time compensation
- Demonstrate tactfulness, a good cooperative attitude, the
ability to make sound judgements based on facts, and basic
knowledge of product being inspected.
- Must demonstrate the ability to interpret, understand, and
conform to written and oral instructions; and contact appropriate
supervision for assistance, and/or guidance in performing the
duties of their positions.
- Attendance, punctuality, and dependability are essential to the
proper operation of CASS's program. If unable to report for work on
time or as scheduled, the incumbent must call a supervisor or lead
person at least one hour before scheduled starting time. This
allows for supervision to provide a replacement to cover the
incumbent's work shift. If delayed, for any reason, while traveling
to report to work, ensure a supervisor or lead is contacted
immediately, in order that management may assign a replacement to
minimize a lapse in shift coverage.
- Self-Starter and proactive
- Excellent Oral and Written Communication skills
- Excellent Time Management and Organizational skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle conflict in a
tactful and professional manner
- Assumes responsibility for doing assigned work and meeting
- Demonstrates an awareness of and sensitivity to clients
including cultural and ethical beliefs; and implements care in a
thorough, skillful, consistent, and continuous manner.
- Attends work regularly and adheres to policies and procedures
regarding absences and tardiness. Provides adequate notice to
supervisor with respect to time-off requests.
- Performs other duties, as necessary.
- Viewed by others to be an effective team member who is
flexible, cooperative, and willing to assist others, and acts as a
resource to team members and clients where appropriate.
- Tactfully handles conflicts constructively and seeks
appropriate assistance and directive when necessary.
- Develops and maintains cooperative and courteous relationships
with co-workers, supervisor, and agency clients.
- Temporary, Non-Exempt
- $16.06 Hr. Pay Rate Training ( 2 weeks) - After Training
- Benefits package including medical benefits, matching
retirement contributions, and annual and holiday leave.
- Travel and mileage reimbursement and advances provided.
- Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will
be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal
and state laws.
The incumbent in this position will be required, with or without
reasonable accommodation, to stand and walk constantly; Must be
able to lift 30 pounds on a very frequent basis and up to 50 pounds
on an occasional basis; Use repetitive arm and wrist motions; bend,
stoop, twist, reach; and, maintain visual acuity a as well as
possess normal color vision to differentiate color correctly.
Drive, and enter and exit the vehicle numerous times throughout the
Duties for the job are performed inside or outside of buildings.
Weather, temperature, lighting, and noise levels may constantly
vary. Terrain may vary from smooth and stable to irregular and
unstable. The incumbent may continually work with or around
machinery or motorized equipment, work in a noisy environment and
be exposed to dust, pollen, moisture, and temperature extremes.
Driving a vehicle, as well as entering and exiting the vehicle
numerous times throughout the workday, is required.
Keywords: Cooperative Agricultural Support Services, Lodi , Agricultural Assistant - Commodity Inspector, Other , Lodi, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!